Home     Contact Us         Log in
Jan 07
Saturday
Community Articles
January 2012: Pure Land, Pure Water, Pure Heart

Inspired by the Sakyong’s vision for Shambhala Mountain Center as a place where people gather to train in the inner and worldly practice of peacemaking, a huge campaign has been underway to lay the infrastructure necessary for future development. Pure Land, Pure Water, Pure Heart opened the campaign necessary to build a new water treatment system capable of purifying current levels of waste, while accommodating the future growth and development. This past year, not only did it have to continue meeting that challenge, but also take on protecting the pine trees from epidemic levels of Mountain Pine Beetle population.

Those who have been following the huge water-treatment needs at Shambhala Mountain Center will know that the State gave us a very short timeline within which we were to bring the existing water treatment facilities into line with current standards, and to meet the needs of the increased number of guests hosted there each year. In 2011 we succeed in meeting all of the state-mandated deadlines and benchmarks, and completed the building of the actual plant itself.

Now it is time to design the project’s second stage, the collection system that will connect all of the downtown buildings to the plant. The leadership of Shambhala Mountain Center has reached agreement on a plan that allows us to extend the time table to complete our final designs and still meet compliance standards.

To accomplish what we have done so far has taken a huge amount of effort and investment. In the midst of that, 2011 is the second year in a row that Shambhala Mountain Center has achieved the goal we established in 2009 for our new operation model to cover at least 90% of its operating costs through program revenue. This is significant step towards financial sustainability, although it remains a challenge to fund-raise for the remaining 10%, for debt service, and to complete stage two of the water treatment facility. Once the facility is in place, we will have installed a major aspect of the infrastructure necessary for the further development of this amazing power spot in our mandala, which will include improved staff housing, kitchen/dining facilities and an on-site teaching seat and residence for the Sakyong and Sakyong Wangmo.

From: The Kalapa Council

Be Sociable, Share!
Post Tags:

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.



Website Development by Retreat Guru: teachers, mediation, yoga, training, using Wordpress MU.
All content and source Copyright © 1994-2014. Shambhala International (Vajradhatu), Shambhala, Shambhala Meditation Center, Shambhala Training, Shambhala Center and Way of Shambhala are registered service marks of Shambhala USA

Facebook

Get the Facebook Likebox Slider Pro for WordPress