Twenty-Five Wishes for the Legacy Of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche
From the Advisory Board of the Chogyam Trungpa Legacy Project
On the occasion of the 25th Anniversary of the Parinirvana of the Vidyadhara Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, in furtherance of our mission, we aspire to support the realization of these aspirations, and we invite others to join in and to lead these efforts:
1. CHELA: The completion of CHELA: The Chogyam Trungpa Electronic Library and Archive — an online resource for the life and teachings of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. To include audio of all lectures given by Chogyam Trungpa, accompanied by transcripts, photographs, video, and other documents as available. Documents on CHELA would be translated into many languages. Our aspiration is that all material be offered free of charge. CHELA would also online classes, conferences and other events related to the life and teachings of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche.
2. CTR ONLINE: online classes, seminars and discussion groups presenting CTR’s teachings, so that people can not only view his talks but also benefit from discussions of the talks. On CHELA and other sites.
3. STEWARDSHIP, MENTORING AND TRAINING: Mentoring and Training of 25 or more editors, translators, dharma artists and other stewards of the teachings of Chogyam Trungpa, to care for, preserve and make available his work in the future.
4. EDUCATION: a) Ongoing programming in all Shambhala centers, worldwide, on the life and teachings of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. b) An organized course of study where senior students can join together to study his teachings line by line. c) classes on Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche’s teachings for second generation and new students. d) Incorporation of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche’s teaching in the Dorje Kasung, Dharma Art, and other courses of study. d) Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche’s vision and teachings incorporated into university courses on Comparative Religion, Buddhism and other topics, in institutions throughout the world. e) A Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche Endowed Chair of Studies at a major university in Nova Scotia and at Naropa University.
5. EDITORIAL AND PUBLICATION: Publication of 25 or more books of the teachings of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, never before published. To include editing and publication of the complete poems and publication of the plays of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche; publication of the second volume of True Command; and publication of all remaining tantra group talks and ngondro transmissions given by VCTR.
6. CONTEMPLATIVE EDUCATION: contemplative education as taught by VCTR being incorporated into the mainstream educational system. To include a series of seminars/workshops incorporating mindfulness and compassion practices. Cultivating the authentic presence of the teacher and valuing each individual student in the classroom. Delivery to include classes offered for re-certification credit.
7. MUSEUM AND EXHIBITION: A major traveling exhibition on the life, teachings, and art of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche touring major museums in North America.
8. MUSEUM AND EXHIBITION: A permanent exhibition space for the personal and religious objects of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, along with storage and conservation space. A wish that this collection of material things be stewarded, protected and cared by an organization that will make it all available, with all of his teachings about the joining of the physical and spiritual aspects of the world, for generations to come.
9. MUSEUM AND EXHIBITION: Conservation and permanent exhibition housing for the Surmang Relics: sacred objects hand carried by Chogyam Trungpa out of Tibet.
10. THE VCTR LIBRARY: Establishment of a building or building complex to house the records from the Shambhala Archives related to the life and teachings of Vidyadhara the Venerable Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, including a shrine room, research facilities, exhibition space, classrooms and other facilities, creating a place that people can come to appreciate, study, and soak in his teachings and his mind stream.
11. NAROPA UNIVERSITY: a) A Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche Endowed Chair of Interdisciplinary Studies at Naropa University. b) Training the next generation at Naropa who already feel their lives have been changed by Trungpa Rinpoche, enabling a new generation to teach the classes that present his work.
12. PHOTOGRAPHY: Completion of the cataloging, conservation, rehousing and digitization of the more than 50,000 photographs related to Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche in the Shambhala Archives. Creation of an online repository of photographs as part of CHELA (see above).
13. PHOTOGRAPHY: A major conference or symposium bringing together the chief photographers of Chogyam Trungpa to exhibit, discuss, and plan for the stewardship of their work.
14. DHARMA ART: a) Conference or symposium of dharma artists trained by Chogyam Trungpa, to share, record, and transmit teachings received from him and to plan for the stewardship of this work. b) Longer dharma art retreat with artists trained by Chogyam Trungpa. c) a series of classes on Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche’s Dharma Art Teachings d) make photographs of Chogyam Trungpa’s Dharma Art work more available.
15. CHOGYAM TRUNGPA RINPOCHE LECTURE SERIES AND CONFERENCES: a) 25 lectures in the Chogyam Trungpa Memorial Lecture series, in various places throughout North America and Europe. b) Conferences bringing together academics, practitioners, disciples and others to discuss the legacy of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, at various institutions in various parts of the world. c) Live streaming of these events through CHELA or other online sites.
16. TRANSCRIPTION: Correction, completion and digitization of transcripts of the more than 2,500 lectures given by Chogyam Trungpa, including 1,000 never before transcribed. Incorporation of all transcripts in CHELA.
17. VIDEO: Preservation, transfer and digitization of all of the video records pertaining to the life and teachings of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. Incorporation of these records in CHELA.
18. FILM: Conservation and digital transfer of all of the film records related to the life and teachings of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. Incorporation of these records in CHELA.
19. CTR AT THE MOVIES: A major dramatic film based on the life of Chogyam Trungpa. A major television documentary on the life and teachings of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche.
20. TRANSLATION: a) Completion of the translation from Tibetan into English of all of the Tibetan manuscripts of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche’s teachings, poetry, and practice texts. b) The English translation of the Foruth Trungpa’s great book on mahamudra. c) Translation into Tibetan of the major books of Chogyam Trungpa, with patronage to allow these books to be placed free of charge in the libraries of Tibetan monasteries in India, Nepal, and Tibet. d) A Tibetan area on the CHELA network, for the manuscripts of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche and other translations.
21. ARCHIVAL DOCUMENTS: Rehousing, cataloging and conservation of the paper documents related to the life and teachings of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. Inclusion of these documents on CHELA.
22. ART: a) Creation and reproduction of thangkas for all of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche’s termas and other practice texts. b) A bronze statue of Chogyam Trungpa in the gardens of the VCTR Library, (see above), as well as other dharma art statues representing his work and influence. c) Cataloging and conservation of logos, design work and other artistic endeavors of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. To be included on CHELA.
23. EDITING: Completion of lightly edited versions of all of the recorded teachings of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. Creation of these edited documents to be part of the training of the stewards of the teachings of Chogyam Trungpa. Approved edited versions to be included on CHELA.
24. REGISTRY OF DISCIPLES: A register of disciples of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche and particular teachings, transmissions, and objects they hold.
25. ENDOWMENT: Creation of a five million dollar endowment fund to support this work.
Please go to chogyamtrungpa.com to add your wishes, aspirations and comments.